Sunday, January 26, 2014

Romeo, Juliet and the velcro pigs


Several years ago, my mom and I each bought copies of "1,000 Places To See Before You Die" and have used it as a travel bible of sorts. We always consult the well thumbed pages of the Big Book to make sure when we visit a place, we hit all the "can't miss" destinations. Mom and I check items off the list as we visit them.   We even compare the number of places we've each been (mom is currently in the lead, but I hope to pass her soon...!)


This past Saturday, we decided to check out the fair city of Verona, Italy.  A quick 30 minute train ride and we arrive. And are shocked.  The Big Book made it sound like a sleepy little town whose primary draw was simply the Romeo & Juliet story.  (I secretly hope to find some small mention of Gnomio and Juliet in the town, the adorable animated take on the love story, though I keep that tidbit to myself. Ha!)

The big book also mentions opera performances in the summer, but since we're there in January, we know that won't be possible.  As we walk into the historic center of Verona, it becomes clear the book didn't full prepare us for Verona.

The historical center of Verona is large, beautiful and has many attractions and museums to keep us busy for several days, not just an afternoon.




There are several big museums, one of which has a Monet exhibit (one of my mom's favorites!). We briefly consider visiting it, but the Saturday afternoon throngs keep us away.  A serpentine river running lazily through the town, creating beautiful vistas and showcasing medieval bridges.



Verona is also home to the arena, a 2,000 year old Roman amphitheater that houses opera performances in the summer. We're visiting in January, so unfortunately, this isn't an option for us, but can you imagine?  It must be spectacular!


We decide that Verona might warrant a second trip and decide to focus our efforts on the Romeo & Juliet story. There are plenty of options including Juliet's house, balcony, tomb, plus Romeo's house and tomb.  We focus on Juliet's house, statue and balcony. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon and the town is crowded with locals and tourists window shopping and hoping for a glance at Juliet's balcony.




















A 10 minute walk through the city takes you to Juliet's house and the balcony where she stood listening to her Romeo, below. He is said to have whispered lovely sentiments and declaring his undying love for her. I remember that Romeo & Juliet were about 13-15 years old and suddenly, I'm thinking of my earliest romances in middle/high school, a lifetime ago.

As I walk among throngs the streets of Verona, I think back and suddenly remember a pair of adorable plush pigs given to me by one of my first boyfriends. The red and white pair had velcro on the hands and the mouths, so when joined, they were perpetually kissing and holding hands.  I loved those cute little pigs, a sweet symbol from one of my very first Romeos!

As I silently wonder what happened to those pigs, suddenly, I look up and we've arrived at The House of Juliet.


We follow the crowd under an old stone archway and into a dark tunnel. What looks like graffiti is Juliet's wall, where people from all over the world sign their names, ensuring their love will last forever. I watch as my parents sign their names.



The archway opens into a courtyard. On the right, Juliet's house.  The balcony itself is quite small, but beautiful. 


I wander over to the wall of locks. Lovers from all over the world write their names on colorful locks and secure it to the wall. It's sweet to read the names and messages written on the locks. 


Next to the wall of locks is the bronze sculpture of Juliet herself. It's said that by touching her right breast, you'll have luck in finding love. I'm 35 and single, so I gave her boob a hearty rub, just for an extra dose of luck!



Next, we decided to tour the house of Juliet. It was 8€ and allows you to take a self guided tour of the house, including standing on Juliet's balcony.  It truly is beautiful and throughout the house, the views over Verona are exceptional. 



The house is sparsely decorated, but gorgeous.




Toward the back of the house is Juliet's bedroom and in it, the bed used in the filming of the 1968 movie, directed by Franco Zeffirelli (never saw it!).


And what good would a house tour be without some period clothing?  I actually loved the dress - my photo doesn't do it justice.


Romeo's outfit, on the other hand...well, let's just say I don't know a lot of men who can pull off a tights.  Leave a little to the imagination, fellas!


There is a guestbook filled with romantic sentiments in all languages (or maybe they're dirty jokes, how would I know what a backwards R means?)




One part was so delightfully ridiculous, I just had to snap a picture.  Towards the back of Juliet's house on the 4th or 5th floor, there are 4 terminals where you can email a letter to Juliet in any language you want.  Let's pretend for the moment that e-mail is the appropriate forum for this type of note. Let's also pretend that some beautiful woman wise in the ways of love will read your letter, when really it's probably a bored intern named Kimberly.



I stand there for a minute trying to imagine what I'd say to Juliet.

"Dear Juliet, my love life stinks.  Where did you get that delightful dagger?  Love, Jules."

No...not quite right.

"Dear Juliet, I've been dating for more than 20 years. At this point, I'm running out of things to say on first dates. Love, Jules."

True. But perhaps I should be more heartfelt. I close my eyes, take a breath and really try.

"Dear Juliet, I'm sure you've read a letter like mine a thousand times if you've read it once. I want the same thing that everyone wants...a great love, a partner, a friend. Someone to kiss me, hold my hand and grow old with. Someone to make me laugh and hold me when I cry.  Someone I can trust and confide in and lean on from time to time so I don't have to be so strong all the time. Someone to travel the world with, share my life with, build a future with.  I've been patient.  Will it ever be my turn...and will he be worth the wait?  Love, Jules"  

In the end, I decide not to write anything to the fair Kimberly Juliet.  But as I walk down flight after flight of stairs, catching glimpses of the buildings outside, awash in gorgeous afternoon sunlight, I snap a photo and think of the perfect, succinct email I should have typed.

"Dear Juliet, I rubbed your boob....could you help a sister out? Love, Jules" 






3 comments:

  1. This is great! I love it. I've been blessed in the love department, but I totally love these types of stories. There's that movie - When in Rome or something with the fountain. It makes me think of you now. You'll have guys (decent ones) following you all over once you get back. You're a world traveler and guys seem to love that - so you'll have cool stories to share ;)

    You really make me want to go to Italy. I've been fantasizing about France for many years, but I'm thinking I'll have to make sure I do both. My husband could have an opportunity to work overseas - nowhere cool like Italy - but maybe going there for a short time could really be an awesome experience ;)

    Bonne Chance Jules ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that my guy is out there...and when the time is right, he'll find me. If you have the opportunity to travel or work abroad, DO IT! It'll be a great experience for you and your husband, plus a wonderful experience for your kids. There's just nothing like travel. It's good for the soul, spirit, character and I've always thought it was a much more interesting way to learn about history of the world, too! I can't wait for 2 weeks in France at the end of my trip. I'll make sure to take lots of pics for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great, heartfelt sentiments Jules. Hopefully that will come true for you. Not the boob part though.
    Fred

    ReplyDelete