Thursday, February 20, 2014

Parma

February 18

I left San Remo and continued driving east along the Italian Riviera.  My destination: the gorgeous craggy cliff towns of the Cinque Terra. But as I drove, I realized that I didn’t want to spend any more time by the beach. I adore beaches (and mountains), but I’m here in February. All of my time spent in these wonderful locations (Nice, Monaco, Antibes, Cannes, San Remo) is like a big tease. I want to swim in the Mediterranean, layout slathered in coconut-scented sunscreen, drink an umbrella drink and eat seafood at a beachfront restaurant. But it’s cold and I’m wrapped in layers of scarves. A quick check of my iPhone and I see that the best hotels are closed and the ones that are open looked pretty blah.  So, by the time I drove up  the coast and around to the La Spezia peninsula where the Cinque Terra begins, I had decided to change my plans. I’d drive inland and save the Cinque Terra region for later in my trip, when, I reasoned, more hotels would be open.

I decided to drive across Italy to the east coast to visit Ravenna and San Marino, another of the worlds tiniest countries! To get there, I’d drive through Parma, birthplace of parmesan cheese!

I stayed  in Parma at an incredible 5 star hotel called Park Hotel Pacchiosi. My room was absolutely luxurious!  There were 20 foot ceilings, an amazingly perfect bed, a chandelier over the bed, a gorgeous bench and a beautiful rug. 




And then I saw the bathroom and literally started laughing..that's how happy I was!

Huge vanity and marble EVERYWHERE.


There was even a huge 12 foot wide double shower.  So, of course, I turned on both and walked from side to side.  Ahhh, the joys of a great hotel!



After a ridiculously long shower, I decided to get all gussied up and treat myself to a nice dinner. It felt really good to get all cleaned up and even better to have an awesome meal.


I love when my place setting includes 6 glasses. There are separate glasses for water, prosecco, white wine, red wine, dessert wine and an apertif/digistif.



I started with sparkling prosecco called Cartizze.



 And of course, in Parma, they serve you a few big chunks of awesome parmesan to nibble on.



Next, the chef sent out a few special appetizers just for me.  Smoked salmon, anchovy mousse and a third thing I've forgotten.


For a main course, I had asparagus and proscuitto rissoto with parmesean cheese and my favorite, Chianti.





And of course, I had to treat myself to dessert and cappuccino.




After my awesome meal, I went back to my hotel room and discovered that they had FREE movies in ENGLISH on the TV.  I snuggled into my comfortable bed with a glass of wine and drooled over Jeremy Renner in the Bourne Supremacy and laughed at Despicable Me 2. 



Ahhh... the joys of vacation! 






No comments:

Post a Comment