Thursday, October 17, 2013

Social media Jehovah's Witnesses

Hey, remember when Facebook was fun and reading your News Feed would update you on the lives of your friends?

Facebook has become a constant steam of demands that you "watch this video," "like this sick child's photo to magically cure her disease," "check out this company," or "play Farmville with me now!".  Even worse, it's often filled with political and religious attacks/assertions like "Christians are idiots" or "If you're not Christian, you're an empty shell of a human being" or  "all Republicans are assholes" or "Democrats are stupid."

People now feel it's appropriate to share every thought and opinion on every subject with everyone they know - all through Facebook.  We used to discuss these things with like-minded friends, privately, carefully.  But now, we post it publicly on Facebook. Why? I think it serves another purpose - specifically for religious and political viewpoints.  People who post incessantly about those topics don't simply feel entitled to their opinion. They want to make YOU read it and consider it, too. They want to cram their ideology down your throat and tell you that you're a fool for disagreeing with them.

These people are social media Jehovah's witnesses and I am ducking for cover behind my couch. 




There's no filter on Facebook because YOU are supposed to be the filter. You aren't supposed to share every thought, emotion, judgement or feeling and you sure as hell shouldn't post it.  How about a little filtering?

It's social media. Socializing should be fun! But lately, Facebook doesn't feel social.  Let me ask you this...at a party, how do you socialize?  When you see someone you haven't seen in a long time, what do you ask them?  Do you run up and say "tell me your religious views on reproductive rights" or beg that a friend tell you the last 4 articles they read on Yahoo!?  I didn't think so.

I ask people about their babies, their wedding, their family. I ask how work is, how they feel, what life is like from their vantage point. I listen as my friend tells me about the new house she bought, or another tells me about her mother who's been ill. I listen as my friend (who is a pastor) tells me of what she's doing in the youth community. I squeal as I hear the story of a friend's engagement in Italy and I hug the friend who's going through a breakup. That is what socializing is.

I know...I do the same thing on occasion. I post links to this blog, an occasional video, and even an article or two. BUT, the vast majority of my posts are about me and what's going on in my life. I'm assuming you care that I had surgery, lost 50 pounds, went on a great date or had a crappy day.  But do you care that I'm Buddhist? Democrat? Single? Fiscally moderate? Like the color red?  Do you care what I ate for dinner? Do you want to know if I'm mad at my sister/ brother/father/friend?  Should we all air our dirty laundry on Facebook and spew hateful messages about others, their views, their religion?  I don't think so. I think we should all try to be a little more social and a little less Jehovah-y, dropping by on a Saturday afternoon uninvited with a copy of Watchtower.

I am your friend because I want to be YOUR friend. You'll notice I don't have 1,500 friends on Facebook. That's  because I don't care about 1,500 people. I care about maybe 300 or 400 people. And you're it. YOU.  You have a direct link to me everyday via the iPhone in my hand ~16 hours a day. A link into my head, into my world, into my life. Isn't that delightful?

Please, don't use that as an opportunity to shove your religious or political views down my throat.  That's what Jehovah's Witnesses do...I'm minding my own business on a Saturday afternoon and they're suddenly on my porch, wanting to talk about Christ Our Lord. Interestingly, they never want to leave me their home address so I can drop by their house later to chat.

I love you.
I'm your friend.
But I am never, EVER going to ask for your thoughts on God, politics or play Farmville with you. 

It's your turn to say something.
Please...make it interesting.


2 comments:

  1. I love 6pm as well. I have to try on my shoes first due to my many foot problems, but I always go here to see if they have them cheaper. My fav purchase is my Naot sandals for $40 that are $170 in the store :)

    I'm not a huge fan of gold, but those pictures are beautiful. I have never done a room in Navy....pretty.

    I recently looked at an adult camp - I think it was a fitness camp. It looked awesome and I thought it would be a lot of fun. They'd probably make fun of me, but I thought it sounded like a blast. I also went to camp and had such a great time. I want to send my kids as well...but I don't know how my Mom let me go ;) I can't imagine not seeing them for a whole week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the adult camps sound so fun and no, they wouldnt make fun of you! You should schedule the kids camps to coincide with your camp. That way you wont have time to miss them... and they get the experience of going away. Kids need experiences like that to prepare them for the real world. You should send them to camp, for sure!

    ReplyDelete